EntropiaPartners Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtual Worlds > Entropia Universe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stick with Arkadia or Move to Calypso?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Earning
Earning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raishiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stick with Arkadia or Move to Calypso?
    Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 4:45pm
I started playing about a week ago, and when I first saw the game it was via the Planet Arkadia website. It wasn't until it was too late that I found out there were different planets and such. I've been considering a switch to Calypso, since it's more along the lines of standard sci-fi, the map appears to be at least a bit more interesting, and from what I've read there's some group-sweating to be found there (I've only tried sweating monuras solo in Arkadia and it seems to be a bad route).

However, such a move appears to be rather costly; a 9PED sink just to switch planets would suck up a lot of my remaining funds (outside of what I've earned so far here) and then there's whatever it might cost to hitch a ride with someone who has a ship.

So my question is, would this be a worth-while move? I'm not quite certain what sort of industry I'd be most happy in overall if that makes a difference, but hunting is the most entertaining aspect of playing so far and in most games I tend to like crafting (though I'm aware that takes a large investment to get going here). 
Sponsored Links

Slapper View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 11:05pm
Well I started on Calypso and moved to Arkadia after 6 weeks there and don't regret it.

Raishiki View Drop Down
Earning
Earning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raishiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 1:50am
Okay, what was better about Arkadia in your opinion? To clarify a bit I'm not totally against depoing a little here and there, but I do want to supplement that heavily with f2p methods like sweating and EP.
MirrorBlack View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MirrorBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 2:19am
You don't really need to group sweat on Ark, though occasionally some people do. You can solo swunt Carabok and Gallards. Sweat them dry then shoot them in the face, collect loot, get back to full health, rinse and repeat.
Raishiki View Drop Down
Earning
Earning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raishiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 2:42am
Yeah, I have liked the steady gain in evade while sweating solo. How about mob loot? Is there any particular advantage to one planet over another in that regard or are they about balanced?

I did read in another post that Calypso has a higher population with more greedy people and a lower ratio of helpful players. However, I haven't seen any place in Arkadia yet that seems particularly populated. The most people I've seen in one place was just four or five at the Quarry.
Slapper View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 6:02am
Well  this is all based on my loot returns on hunting runs.

Arkadia...More spread out loot pool giving even from low level mobs a decent return.

Calypso...Loot seems to be awful on low level mobs I got 60% return on puny's to exosaurs hunts, the Kerberos (110 to 1500 hp) were the first mob I got decent returns on.

Monria...Decent returns from Yog's. There's only 4 mobs on this planet so I find it quite boring, small community means its hard some days to trade player to player, no vehicles on the planet so get a teleport chip.

Toulan...I have had some nice hunts here, but again its the amount of players there thats the main problem. Unless you have a large amount of loot to put on auction finding a crafter to sell it too is difficult. Not much variety in mobs, no vehicles except for landing and taking off at the Citadel so get a teleport chip.

Next Island.....Dead Island the home of bugged missions and until Big Industries started doing events there it was like a ghost town, but at least the missions now work in Ancient Greece map since MA took it over.  

Cyrene...Can be hard on your ped card. Plenty of missions for higher levels, starter gear gun and knife has shocking decay rate so expect to deposit to play after your first 10 minutes.

Rocktropia..I was taught as a young lad that if I had nothing good to say, stay quiet.

Crystal Palace....High hp mobs not for low levels.

FOMA...Good mining if you have skills, I am not keen on hunting in the bio domes as theres only a few mobs that I can kill cheaply enough or have given me decent returns for my skill levels.
Raishiki View Drop Down
Earning
Earning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raishiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 3:20am
Okay, thanks for the rundown. Didn't think it would be so different loot-wise between the planets. Just made it to level 1 of the sweat gatherer profession at Caraboks.
Slapper View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 6:14am
Sweating level does not mean much, you get exactly the same 1 to 4 bottles if your a lvl 1 sweat gatherer or lvl 100. You would find sweating in a group easier, try celeste outpost.
Sweating does give you agility and evade skills when the mob hits you, which  are very useful for a hunter.

As for loot drops, after the first couple of hours play, I went "Wheres my ammo and peds gone?". So I went in to options and selected disable loot window, this gets rid of the awful pop up loot window and replaces it with a list of items and their ped values. Remember that the more of one mob you kill the truer the average return to cost is. If you find that say a puny on Calypso returns an average of 0.01 ped loot and it costs you 0.02 ped ammo to kill, its time to change mobs. Also (and this is where entropialife.com comes in handy) don't think that because you hit a higher maturity of a mob you have a better chance of getting a global. Some mobs like Tiaraks the young (which take less ammo to kill) are 10 times more likely to global than an old, and about 200 times more than a stalker. Mind you if I go hunting kerberos on caly, a provider or alpha is 3 times more likely to global than a young. So study which mobs to hunt at your level.
Raishiki View Drop Down
Earning
Earning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raishiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 7:28am
I know the output is the same when you succeed, but as far as I can tell a higher sweat gatherer means you "activate" the tool more often which results in getting the sweat faster. Evade definitely helps, since it lets you succeed after you've activated the tool more often. Can't tell if concentration helps, unless maybe it shortens the amount of time it takes to concentrate or maybe prevents it from being broken sometimes. Also, it's cool to know that I can turn that off; it's been really annoying with the excessive texture border. Makes me wish this game had UI modifications around.
Also, I've come across entropialife.com but haven't used it much yet. Mostly just used entropedia.info.

Side note: Jumped from level 0 to level 2 with crowdflower, and I qualify for 3 but for some reason it says I need something else before it works. Perhaps it'll update tomorrow.
Slapper View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 8:14am
Can't help with crowdflower as it insists you log in with a facebook account, and I would not have one of those ever.
The concentration period will be the same for the sweating as its set by the vse.  Instead it gives you extra chance of successful sweating or any other mindforce skill. 
Raishiki View Drop Down
Earning
Earning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raishiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 10:22am
Right, I was mainly just celebrating a little bit. It seems to count, but doesn't show up on their profile thing. I used a spare fb acc I made before they got so invasive/anti-privacy with their tou.

I had a feeling that was the case. So does that mean that you'll occasionally maintain concentration even though you get hit?
Slapper View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:01pm
Short answer is yes, having higher evade and agility also helps. You can also find on auction Synchronization chips the low L ones I and II are quite cheap, these increase your concentration for a period of time. I personally have the synchronization chip II which increase concentration for 340 seconds for 240 mind essence, and if im passing low levels solo sweating I put it on them.
Wauspaus View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wauspaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 7:48am
Alright then :)

First off all welcome :D If you are up for a challenge then EU will definatly give you that. 

Now for your original question. Arkadia is awesome..... simply because the creatures are more aimed for newer players as Slapper already mentioned, Caraboks and Gallards for solo sweating, the occasional circle at 8Coins Windy Island and Celeste Outpost are usually good as well. The loot on creatures on Ark is diverse, containing hides the occasional weapon (PLP, PLR, PBR or PBP - 0) and it also sells. Calypso lost this a while ago, where the "Puny" creatures hit like little trucks and their loot usually consists out of ammo (which isn't really bad since it keeps you hunting, but at the end of the day it's really boring).
The group sweating on Calypso, someone pulled a cruel joke on you there. Yes there is more group sweating on Calypso however you won't get more sweat there then on Arkadia, the social interaction is also completely absent, because the majority of people either afk or bot sweat. It's an orgy where people just bump into eachother, noone can really sweat the mob and if it happens to be dry then it takes roughly an hour to get it out of the circle to turret it since noone is moving because they are afk.
The only upside on Calypso is that you can sell stuff quicker there, including sweat, but this is for a very very low price (unless you go to the SSI's on Calypso and are quick on a keyboard, then again, there is also an SSI on Arkadia so :D).

In contrary to what Slapper said in regards to your sweatgathering lvl. It doesn't affect a thing, the amount of sweat per hour you get it exactly the same regardless of your level. The "succeschance" doesn't change. The SG lvl is only for people to kind of brag about. It does lvl up other mindforce proffesions though :). The only thing that helps you get more sweat especially when solo sweating is evade. If you don't get hit while doing a channel then your focus isn't broken (unless you got a sync chip buff which I don't recommend for low lvl sweating). 

Hope that kind of helps :)

Wzzls
Waus
Slapper View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 9:07am
He was on about concentration skill increasing successful sweat collection not the horrible sweat gathering skill, or at least that is how I read it. 
Wauspaus View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wauspaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 4:23pm
Concentration also doesn't affect your sweatgathering speed. It used to do this before the VSE was introduced where concentration was used to hold the channel, however that is not the case anymore. The sync chip gives you protection now for being interupted but the concentration % increase has nothing to do with it. nor does it increase your chances to get a channel going :).
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>