EntropiaPartners Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtual Worlds > Other MMORPG
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal Character Generation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zanzibarjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal Character Generation
    Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:57pm
What if someone developed a universal app, plug in type supported for MMOs, that allowed you to create a universal looking character?

So the app would be able to create your character in 3 ways:
- 3D High/Low res polys/texture
- 2 Dimensional
- 2 1/2 Dimensional

Then any MMO you played could incorporate that character into the game.

Would you be interested in such a thing? Would you use it? Or not because it reminds you of the Nintendo Mii characters?

Just a question to stir up some conversation.

-= Don't start nuttin', won't be nuttin! =-
Sponsored Links

Wauspaus View Drop Down
Expert
Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wauspaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 12:22pm
Doubt I would use it. Characters in different games are unique (or should be). The style, the movement it should all be unique for any MMO. Having an app which would basically save a character for you to be used in other MMO's would probably break that.
I can see a market for it though, a lot of people are lazy in making their character, so if they could just make 1 character to be uploaded in most MMO games with an app like that. 

khaboh View Drop Down
Contributor
Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khaboh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:28am
I think you could get it to fly and I would use it as well, if you could adjust a perception problem.  Like you mentioned, one example is perhaps a tendency to associate with the Mii characters.

Or hey, there's this problem with the use of the world "Avatar" now, since it's has been used in several distinct and non-standard ways.  Or "handle", "screen name", etc.  If it was a thing behind a thing, you know, what we used to be able to call an avatar, like there's a blizzard.net identity *behind* the character which might be an orc in one game, or a space marine in another - that could fly.

So ask a different way:  Blizzard is almost already doing what you say between its games, now, if it was more of an avatar with some features I could customize, and it was linked to/the same 'avatar' behind my 'characters' in also SL, EU, EVE (as well as Diablo, WoW, Hearthstone, etc).

You did say you weer trying to stir discussion ;)

So now take that a little further, imagine the whole world is doing it - where's the lines?  Clearly there's some lines between say, any online PS game and any online Nintendo game.  Who do we consider competitors and how do they decide when to separate and when to integrate?  Is EU in competition with a Wii MMO?  Is that DC Secret whatever MOBA in competition with Hearthstone?  They're definitely directly opposed to the HoTS MOBA by the same company, but Hearthstone is just a card game, and Blizzard isn't Marvel.

I think you've struck on...  something that needs a name, a portion of that overall Virtual Reality unity that MA says it's after.  The user interface portion of it.  I would think of it as sort of a D&D character, but like, verified.  You know, there's always that guy that can show up with a character sheet he scribbled stupid numbers into at the last moment.  But this could be a data sheet that's stocked from within the games, verifications that somewhere, maybe not in this exact current universe and body, but somewhere, you completed 1000 dungeons or your princess is still in yet another damned castle or you always remember both the analgesic and the towel - whatever, a floating status and rep ... thing.  Seed?  Like back when the netgeeks were making those weird signatures that told you everything including their eye color and favorite ice cream in nerd code.
 Post Reply Post Reply